New Directions

I can sum up my last two visits with doctors in one simple phrase:

Doctors are idiots.
 
They are and you cannot convince me otherwise. At the moment, I've completely had it with doctors. For people who study for years, they aren't good at understanding the things I tell them. At the moment I'd even call them hypocrites for claiming to wanting to help people.
 
With a rheumatologist stripping me of Enbrel and rheumatologic care, I recently saw my GP to see where to go next. She was of very little help. My rheumatologist actually sent her a note of his reasoning to stop Enbrel, and she agreed. She agreed, "Your hips are doing well and there's no need of keep you on this very strong medication." I said, "My hips are doing well, but I wish he took into consideration my other joints." She went on the emphasis my hips are doing well, and was not very concerned that I don't feel good. Actually, she was not concerned at all.
 
She's a doctor- shouldn't she be concerned with what damage is being done without treatment?! Shouldn't the rheumatologist?! Both agree I have autoimmune arthritis (though they battle between psoriatic and rheumatoid), do they not realize those are diseases which need to be treated? My TMJ was damaged in the course of a year, even though I was still taking methotrexate. It didn't even hurt that much- now that it's swelling without Enbrel, I'm terrified to think of what's going on now.
 
The fact of the matter is that I am not, nor have I ever, interested in pain relief medication. I do not want it- I will not take it, even when it is prescribed to me. What I want is treatment. I don't care if the treatment doesn't take away all the pain, I just want to know I am doing the best thing to prevent damage later on.
 
Only because I asked, my GP referred me to another rheumatologist. I was extremely hesitant to schedule an appointment with him. I'm tired and don't want to be brushed off once again. Somehow, living on a diet of ibuprofen with a wardrobe of heating pad is more appealing than dealing with another doctor. I knew I'd have to go eventually, and I would once I got so bad they couldn't ignore it. When I told a good friend of mine this, she urged me to schedule an appointment because it is important to be seen. And she also encouraged me to research him too.
 
I'm so glad I did my homework because I found this rheumatologist is not popular at all. Former patients claimed he's said a few choice words to them like 'just take an aspirin,' 'stick your hands in a bowl of hot water,' and 'go live in a warmer climate.' Plus, he barely gave his patients time. Rest assured, I am not seeing him. I am not going to set myself up to be brushed off by doctors again.
 
Now, with some research under my belt, I decided on trying a different rheumatologist. She actually works for the hospital I already go to, so I won't have to go somewhere completely alien to me. Just the idea of being in the same hospital is already comforting. From what I read she is very good and caring to her patients. But what completely convinced me to schedule an appointment is that she is extremely experienced with young adults who's arthritis is juvenile onset, and often takes the cases of patients transferring from pediatric care.
 
So, no date is set yet but will soon. I know every experience is different, but I hope I have a positive experience like the other's I've read about. I'm praying she will help.

I would like to add a disclaimer on the bottom of this post that I do not, in fact, think all doctors are idiots. I'm just incredibly frustrated at the moment with the idiot doctor I had to deal with. Seriously! What person takes away a good thing?! "Yeah, let's strip Elizabeth of medication that has made her capable of living a full life. Especially now that she's in university. In the city. Walking everywhere. With lots of new friends she likes to go out with. And working with kids during the week. And doing lots of homework at night. Yeah, that's a great idea."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing Friendships and Psoriatic Arthritis

My Arthritis Depression

Leflunomide, Calcium Oxalate Crystals, and Kidney Stones