I'm Such a Jerk

As we get older and our situations change, our groups of friends tend to change a lot. Before I was diagnosed with arthritis, I had a close group of friends. After I began treatment after diagnosis, I lost them. We were young and I don't think they could really handle having a sick friend at that point: I understand, I stopped being mad a few years ago after I realised that. I think chronic illness reasons for lost friendships are the easiest to understand but also the hardest wounds to heal.

Awhile ago,  I had some friendships end. To sum it up, I was told repeatedly that "I'm such a jerk," and that these friends are "so much better [people] than [me]." They meant it. I know them well enough to know they meant it. I'm going to leave it at that: I don't want to be too much more of a jerk.

I tried to think of all the things I've said that could be hurtful, but I really couldn't think of anything. I consulted a few friends to ask if I'm hurtful or if the way I talk could be taken the wrong way but I was reassured I'm not at all, and that whoever said I was is completely wrong. I didn't believe it at first. It wasn't until I cheered up another friend in my class later that day and was called a jerk by the same group earlier. I couldn't do this anymore, and I had to make my mind up now on what to do.

I had to make a choice. I could either fight back, or walk away. The situation stressed and tensed me too much to ignore it anymore.

I walked away. Okay, theoretically I did but I couldn't: I had a graphic design class. But I walked away from those people. I walked away because the strength I have is to battle arthritis. I walked away because I would rather have friends who called me nice than those who put me down. It was easy to walk away from the negative because I had so much positivity to go to.

Even the smallest removal of negativity from one's life can make a big difference.  Everything has been much better for me lately. I have a lot of positive people surrounding me and have been thriving in school and work. I've gotten the opportunity to help out in a few projects and your groups. Physically I've done well (except for recently). I've been much more confident too. A lot of good comes out of reducing the negativity in our lives. I encourage you to try and do the same. My only regret is not doing so sooner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Arthritis Depression

Balancing Friendships and Psoriatic Arthritis

Leflunomide, Calcium Oxalate Crystals, and Kidney Stones