'The Fault in Our Stars' by John Green

One of my favourite books is called 'The Fault in Our Stars.' I've read it about five times this year, and I couldn't help but fall in love with it again and again. This book is different from any other books I've ever read; not only did I understand it, it understood me. That might be a little odd so I'll post the bit on the back:

"Despite tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten."
Other than "Fiction," it's hard to really describe this book. It's labeled 'young adult fiction,' but despite that being the target audience, it doesn't quite fit. It's a equal mix of teenagers and medicine- perhaps you could call it 'chronically ill young adult fiction.' Though my healthy friends loved the book as much as me, it was different for me. It was personal.

I don't have cancer (knock on wood). But I could relate to so much of what the main character thought and said. Though our diagnoses are different, we are both chronically ill. Hazel is a character I can relate to, she's a character I take a lot of comfort in (present tense). At parts my healthy friends felt bad for Hazel, I felt closer to her because she spoke a truth that I didn't know anyone else understood. There were times when a character would make a 'sick' joke and my friends would feel sad but I would laugh. The book made me laugh, cry, and feel less alone in thoughts that I've been too afraid to share.

I highly recommend this book. It's perfect for anyone of any age (well, not for children), whether they are chronically ill or healthy. This should really be required reading for nurses and doctors, and maybe even parents if their child (chronically ill or healthy) relates to it as much as I did. This is a book I can turn to when I feel like the world doesn't understand.

It is in a word, beautiful.

Plus, they're making it into a film. And who doesn't love reading the book and then seeing the film?







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing Friendships and Psoriatic Arthritis

My Arthritis Depression

Leflunomide, Calcium Oxalate Crystals, and Kidney Stones