Diet to Manage Juvenile Arthritis

Very recently, I received an email from a reader. She told me how she's trying to find information on how to manage juvenile arthritis through diet and exercise, but hasn't found a lot. She asked me to write about helping treat arthritis with exercise and diet, and I did so right away. Today will be able diet, and my next post will talk about exercise.

This was written with E in mind, but with the hopes others would benefit.

Diet

There are several ways to help arthritis. Unfortunately, there is no 'one size fits all' diet because different things affect us differently. Some people are affected by things like dairy, red meats, white flour and various other things. The best thing for us all (chronically ill or otherwise healthy) is to stay away from processed, fatty and greasy foods as much as you can: Eat as freshly as you possibly can, whenever you can. That doesn't mean (necessarily) to buy organically, it means that it's best to eat your vegetables without extra ingredients like butter or excessive salt. The basic 'arthritis' diet is a diet that is full of anti-inflammatory foods with few or no inflammatory foods. It's true that some foods affect our inflammatory levels more than others, and any reduction in inflammation can greatly. There is tons of information out there about what types of foods raise inflammation and which decrease them, so do some homework and see what you can swap out in your life to help!

Many people swear on a gluten free diet. I've heard it doing miracles and doing nothing. I would like to say right now that I have no personal opinion or experience with gluten free diets for arthritis: I've never tried it. I do have a friend with celiac disease, so I do have some insight into the diet changing lives. However, I don't want to go too into the subject. I just wanted to bring up the subject for anyone interested in looking into it.

There are many other diet changes to look into to! I've found personally that I cannot handle too much citrus, whether through a fresh source or otherwise. After I found myself particularly sore and painful a week after having citrus foods 1-3 times daily, I stopped completely for about two weeks. I found myself feeling much better. Though I still enjoy citrus fruits a few times a week, it's nowhere close to what I was doing before.

And as always, drink plenty of water. Our bodies are seventy per cent water, and they work best when we are hydrated. I'm horrible at remembering to drink, and recently someone came up with the ideas of setting alarms on their phone to remind them to drink something every two hours. I highly recommend it! Also, if water isn't a particular favourite, you do have other options. Tea tends to do wonderfully for those with arthritis, especially green tea. Also, fresh fruit and vegetable juices are very good. Eating foods high in water like watermelon and celery are good options as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing Friendships and Psoriatic Arthritis

My Arthritis Depression

Leflunomide, Calcium Oxalate Crystals, and Kidney Stones