When I was younger, I had dental braces. And I was adorable. Little Brace-Face Elizabeth, walking around smiling with a mouth full of metal. I used to get pink and purple bands on them. It was precious. Well, except when they were tightened and I was in a lot of pain. That wasn't really fun for anyone. Anyway, I got them taken off quite a number of years ago and I now have straight teeth.
Now that I have the perfect teeth, can I please have a perfect jaw? Preferably a less painful jaw. Lately, I've been under a terrible about of stress and that results in clenching my jaw. Clenching my teeth makes my jaw extremely painful. So I've had to be creative in finding ways to relieve this pain, and I would like to pass this knowledge onto you. If you have jaw pain, or even just clench your teeth a lot from stress, you might find these tips helpful.
1. Drink something cold. No, the cold won't numb the pain. However you have to open your mouth to drink, and it will help put less pressure on your jaw. And why the cold drink? I don't know why, but it helps.
2. Drink something hot. Again, the drinking motions will help. The hot tea or whatever you choose might help to loosen tense muscles (it's worth a try, right?). Anyway, it may help you relax when under stress.
3. Bite on a pencil. Don't bite it in half! Just use it to seperate your jaw and help relax. This is also a way to relieve headache.
4. Put your head in your hands. Hold your forehead in your hands and try to relax your jaw. This is particularly good when your neck is sore too.
5. Walk away. If you know something particularly stressful is causing you to clench your jaw and ultimately cause pain, try to walk away. Try relaxing as best as you can. Even if it doesn't help the jaw pain, it's good to give yourself a break from stress.
I really hope these might help you, since they have really helped me!