Maybe I'm biased because I'm the artistic type, but I one hundred per cent believe art is one of the best medicines. I think people can find a lot of benefit in art, for a variety of different reasons and a variety of ways. Making art, looking at art, listening to music, making music and all sorts of art forms can really help people feel better. And so, this is my list of reasons why art is one of the best medicines:
1. It Relaxes. Many people find it easier to wind down and relax whilst drawing, painting, listening to music, looking at books of paintings or photography or doing craft projects of some kind. When your mind is at peace, it can help your body be at peace as well.
2. It's a Form of Expression. The great thing about art is that there are no wrongs. If you're able to, using art is a great way to express what you're feeling or going through. Drawing, painting, music, video documentary, photography, sculpture, and writing are just a few things but the possibilities are endless. The sky is the limit when it comes to art, but just remember- we've made it to the moon.
3. It's a Distraction. On painful days, having art is a great escape for me. I'm almost able to find a way to curl up and still be able to draw, look at books or something great like that. I know I can't be alone with that since one of the reasons children's hospitals tend to have colours and pictures everywhere isn't just to make everything more 'child friendly,' but to try and take the little girls and boys minds off of being sick or in pain. It works surprisingly well with big girls are boys too.
4. It's a Way to Relieve Stress. Of course, art doesn't have to be calm. It can be very violent at times as well. Usually the times when Elizabeth is very frustrated with being in pain and doesn't know how else to take out her anger. I've smeared paint over canvases, ground pencils until there was nothing left, smashed chalk everywhere and have drawn very ugly pictures of how I felt. I get so angry that I can't see any beauty, anything great at all and I want to show the world that. And after I'm done, I feel better.
5. It's Fun. There isn't much fun in being sick, is there? The things we find enjoyment in tend to make us feel a little better. So, if you enjoy doing scrap books and are able to, why not? I'd rather be doing something I like whilst I'm in pain than being bored and in pain.
So, that's my list. And I leave you here, with a quick watercolour work that helped me calm down on a particularly painful day.
|A quick watercolour painting that helped me on a painful day.|