Arthritis Made Me Wiser

Avoiding your problems doesn't fix them, and hiding from them doesn't make them go away. I know, when there is just too much stress it's very tempting to just stay home and sleep in. And when there's a conflict at work, avoiding it completely seems to be the  best fix. But, unfortunately, that is not the case. Like our fears and emotions, we have to face our problems, and even fix them if possible. Even if we're tired, stressed and just feeling broken: We can't let our problems dominate our lives and how we run them.

I cannot ignore Arthur. I cannot hide from Arthur. I cannot run from Arthur. Arthritis is demanding! I've had to face him day after day! He's a part of me, and even if I tried to ignore him, it would only make him worse! He's already a pain in the joint as it is, I don't need to encourage him. If I didn't care for him, I'd most likely be in the worse flair of my life and I'd probably begin having a lot of trouble gettting around.

Perhaps people with arthritis are so strong because we have to face struggles every day: we have never got the option of not having it for the day or quitting. I feel like that's really helped me gain the confidence and strength to face troubles and extreme stress. And it's also helped me learn my stress levels, so I know how to balance. I find that most young adults are just learning now how to do that. So, thanks Arthur: You're making me a wiser person.

Comments

  1. True. I think it has made me stronger and more mature in many ways. I was 16 when I got it, so not VERY young, but I still grew up faster than my friends. While they were concerned about the cute boy in school, I was getting MRIs and worrying I'd be crippled in 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 16 is a still a young kid though. I wasn't formally diagnosed until I was about twelve, but when I did, life got really serious. I ended up getting obsessed with The Beatles because everything else in my life was too serious.
      I know what you mean about being more mature than your friends: I really felt out of place for a long time and still do in a lot of ways.

      Delete
  2. Elizabeth, I have been meaning to come comment for a while :) I want you to know that every time I read your blog you truly inspire me. Thank you for sharing so much of your life. You do make a difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! :) I read your blog a lot too: it is one of my favourites!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Arthritis Depression

Balancing Friendships and Psoriatic Arthritis

Leflunomide, Calcium Oxalate Crystals, and Kidney Stones