5 Confessions of a Teen with Arthritis

Confessions of a teenager with arthritis.

1. I am embarrassed. Embarrassed of my knees, my weakness, stiffness, pain, and most especially my limp. I don't want to bring attention to my legs or be the only person walking in the corridor, and I truly hate that my face gives away pain.

2. I know people think I'm faking, and why wouldn't they? I'm a seemingly healthy, young lady and I must obviously be looking for attention. Even doctors are suspicious and every time there is a fluctuation in my weight, I know they instantly suspect eating disorders. It couldn't possibly be the new medicines.

3. It's hard to relate to kids my own age about a lot of things: you don't realise it, but chronic illness changes a lot in your life. I talked about this in my post 'Arthritis Normal.' A lot of kids my age think its odd that I take my time getting where I need to and that I don't enjoy parties, as well as other things.

4. As much as I would like to be in remission and not have to go to the hospital, I don't really mind it much anymore. I know a lot of people at the hospital and genuinely enjoy talking to them and I have gotten to know them well through the years, and they know me very well.

5. I've gained more through having this painful disease than I ever would have without it: I have beautiful friendships and have gained a lot of wisdom and compassion through it.

Perhaps these dont go for all teenagers, but they do for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Arthritis Depression

Balancing Friendships and Psoriatic Arthritis

Leflunomide, Calcium Oxalate Crystals, and Kidney Stones