Babies, Heros and Hanukkah

Yesterday in the United States of America, the world experienced another tragedy. Six adults and twenty young children died in school at the hands of a young man with a gun in his hand.
This is not the first time we've ever experienced this sort of tragedy. I'd rather not like to say, however, that it won't be the last. And I'd like to keep the thought 'What next?' out of my head because too many terrible thoughts came to mind.
What did any of those babies do to deserve this? That's what they were: Babies. All those children who were rescued are babies. Innocent little people who just wanted to see their parents and siblings. Those adults who saved them? Heroes. The adults who died? Heroes.
All I can say is that no one deserved to die. Definitely not the children, and definitely not the adults. No one deserves to die that way.
Yesterday when I went to my friend's house to observe a Hanukkah celebration, his mum gave everyone a hug. "It's a hug day," she said. It really was. This woman had eleven teenagers in her house. Eleven teenagers who just that day had been in school. One teenager, her son, who was celebrating Hanukkah. It made me imagine that there could be a family who lost their child during a happy time. And with only a couple days to Christmas, I can't imagine parents going home to presents meant for their baby.
Two days ago I was getting ready to prepare a post talking all about learning about how my friend and his family celebrate a holiday that is different from mine. I can't believe how much has changed in that time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing Friendships and Psoriatic Arthritis

My Arthritis Depression

Leflunomide, Calcium Oxalate Crystals, and Kidney Stones