They Get It, Mostly.

Last night as I talked with some mates through a webcam, I was on this website for people who are 'chronically ill.' I cringe at that phrase. Chronic = very serious and long lasting. Illness = I'm sick. And I know I have a chronic disease: I know that I'm sick and probably will be for a very long time.
But anyway, some of the things I came across on this website was really funny. Suggestions that people who are ill get that are simply  hilarious. What medical words really mean, or at least to us. It's a huge relief to know there are more people just like you. But what I laughed at, sometimes my friends didn't when I read it off. I know they wouldn't get all of it so I didn't read all of it to them, just things that I forget people don't understand. Like when people tell you that you take too many medicines and they're making you sick. They don't know.
When I know I'm going to the hospital, I'll tell my friends I'm going to be absent on said day. They look and go "Oh you're going to visit Marc?" And I smile and say "You know me too well." Dr. Marc actually has his own fan club he's not aware of. Most of my friends ask if they can come. I would if I could.
I constantly say I want to bring my friends when I get my blood test. Not to creep them out with needles or show off that I don't flinch, I just want them to stand and watch as I talk with the nurses as if we've been friends forever, though I do know them pretty well because I've been going to the same place to get my blood drawn for about three or four years. The funny part about that is that I almost wrote 'I've been going there about two years.' Time really flies by.
Anyway, it's funny how much they understand for not being sick themselves. I know that it's due to me telling them this stuff, but really when they say something understanding without you reminding them it's so wonderful. Like when I was saying to my friend  that one of my rings fits loose some days and perfectly others, he said "It's probably due to the arthritis causing your knuckles to swell."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing Friendships and Psoriatic Arthritis

My Arthritis Depression

Leflunomide, Calcium Oxalate Crystals, and Kidney Stones