Monday, 7 May 2012

Methotrexate Irregular Periods

Hello there. Usually I try to be humorous or wise in my posts. Not today. As I write this, I must admit I am crying. As I told you before, I've quit taking Methotrexate tablets but will continue with injections. I feel, however, this is the wrong choice for me. This is a bit embarrassing for me to admit, but I've never really had a regular period. After my first cycle I began taking Methotrexate, and then they stopped or came at odd times. At the moment I haven't had one in three or four months, even though before hand they had came three times on a schedule. But I found out that this is not my body, nor is it my arthritis. This is the Methotrexate. I swear it's the MTX. Yes, I am young and young people tend to bounce back. But that's all the more reason I want to stop Methotrexate. Maybe I'm wrong and I'm over reacting, but I know my body better than anyone. People will tell you that this side effect is impossible but when I stopped taking it, I started getting regular periods after a month or so. That's how MY body reacted, not someone else's. By no means am I saying that Methotrexate is terrible. It has proven to be so helpful to a lot of people! What I'm saying is listen to your body and talk with your doctor when you think something is wrong. Don't do anything that may cause you harm, when the benefits don't outweigh the risks. And  the reason this post is so plainly named is so other women and girls who turn to the internet for information will be able to find this because it's easy to feel very alone when you have this problem. By NO means is this medical advice!! This is theory of a personal problem and an offer to outreach other women and girls who have experienced this problem.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this. I've been looking high and low for answers and I haven't read too many testimonies. I hope all goes well for you and I hope to get off MTX soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aimee! You're welcome :) It's such an uncommon side effect, I made it a priority to share. After a year, this is still a popular post and I'm glad people don't feel too alone in it anymore. I wish you well!

      Delete
  2. Great blog post and really helpful...... and your blog are very interesting and inspiring.

    midnightinfo

    ReplyDelete